When you decide to be a Virtual Assistant, there are a lot of things that you need to take care of. It can seem a bit overwhelming, so it’s good to know what is needed right away and what can wait for a bit.
You may be wondering if you need a website. You will definitely need one eventually. Creating a website can be time consuming and costly. Weighing the pros and cons will help you make a more informed decision.
PROS OF HAVING A WEBSITE
· It will give you credibility. Having a business website will help give you credibility in the online world. Let’s face it, if you are working as a VA, most of your clients are going to be in the online space and looking for a website.
· It will enhance your online presence. Having a website that showcases your Virtual Assistant services will only enhance your online presence, making it easier for your clients to find you.
· You can create brand awareness. Being able to have your own website will allow you to show others your brand, creating brand awareness. It will also showcase your skills and personality!
· Use it as a marketing tool. Your website can also be used as another marketing tool to help gain clients.
· A website will help you reach a wider audience. Having a website online will help you reach those you otherwise wouldn’t be able to.
CONS OF HAVING A WEBSITE
· Cost - There will always be a cost associated with creating a website. And if you have to hire someone to create it for you, it will cost even more.
· Time - It takes time to plan out and create a website. This time might be better spent on finding clients and building your business.
· Reliability - You will have to make sure the information on the website is always correct and up to date.
· Upkeep - The website will need updating from time and time and you’ll have to make sure it’s in good running shape.
· Spamming - As with anything online, it will be prone to spam comments.
· If you are an amateur and create a website that is designed poorly, this could reflect negatively on you.
What if you don’t have a website yet and don’t have the resources to create one?
What if you know you need a website, and plan on getting one eventually, but just don’t have the time and/or money to invest in it?
1. Create an About me page - One great way to still create an online presence is to just create a one-page website with your About Me information.
2. Create an email list - Gather potential customer email addresses and add them to your email list. That way you always have a way of getting in touch with them. Send them monthly newsletters to keep them up to date.
3. Use Social Media - Create a Facebook Business page, an Instagram Business account, LinkedIn, or Twitter account and post content consistently. This will also help you create an online presence.
4. Create an online portfolio - By creating a portfolio, you can still show off your skills and show your potential clients what you can do for them. They will also get a sense of your branding.
Having a business website is important as a Virtual Assistant, but it’s not an absolute necessity. If you are just starting out and don’t have the funds or the time to invest in one, there are other ways to create an online presence so that you’re seen by potential clients.
For an awesome resource on what you need for your business, download my FREE business checklist that walks you through everything you need to know to start and get your business going!